Darling Room

For all booking enquiries, please call (03) 6249 8818 or via email to info@claremonthouse.com.au

Rate Schedule
Sun – Thur (single night)                          $235
Fri - Sat (single night)                              $245
Weekly (6 nights)                                    $1500
Annually                                                  $675 pw

In 1919, Alice Darling bought Claremont House on 32 acres of land. Alice was the wife of former Australian Test Cricket captain Joe Darling. Alice and Joe were living at their property ‘Stonehenge’ near Oatlands and didn’t move into Claremont House until 1920.

Alice and Joe had a large family, 15 children in total, 9 boys and six girls. They lived at the Claremont House until 1940 and were the last private owners when they sold on the property to the Red Cross.

The Darlings made only a few structural changes to Claremont House. The south upstairs return verandah was enclosed fr a children’s playroom after one of their sons had fallen off whilst playing marbles. They removed most of the outbuildings and demolished the stables using the timber to build shearing sheds at Stonhenge. The coach house remained and was used as a garage for 6 cars and a underground pit was installed for mechanical work.

Joe Darling was one of Australia’s most successful batsmen and was Australia’s longest serving test cricket captain until Sir Donald Bradman. Joe was very active in politics and was the Independent MLC for Cambridge from 1921 – 1946.

Joe Darling 1921

Joe Darling 1921

By 1940, the Darlings were entering old age and Claremont House was getting too big for their needs. They had already subdivided off various blocks and sold off the rest of the property in 1940 to the Australian Red Cross. Claremont House closed in 1940 and underwent a number of redevelopments and additions. The house reopened in 1941 as the Lady Clark Convalescent home for returned servicemen. 

The Darling is a double room with ensuite bathroom that retains many of the original Victorian features. It enjoys outlooks of the Derwent River to the east and Mount Wellington to the south. The main room is the original bedroom of Joe and Alice Darling built c1889 with Victorian skirts, architraves and the most elaborate hearth tiles of any in the house. The second room is the original dressing room of the house retaining the skirts, architraves and picture rails from the Victorian period. Each room has independent heating electric heating and the dressing room has a working fireplace, Heated King and Queen beds and the marble double bathroom has an island 16 jet hydrotherapy spa bath. Large LCD television, fridge and espresso coffee machine in room with direct access onto the front verandah.