For all booking enquiries, please call (03) 6249 8818 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hire Schedule (includes a cooked breakfast)
Sun – Thur (single night) $145
Fri – Sat (single night) $155
Fri & Sat (two nights) $300
In November 1940, Claremont House on 32 acres of land was purchased by the Red Cross to operate as a convalescent home for returned soldiers. Lady Clark, wife of Governor and patron of the Red Cross was deciding between Claremont House and a property in Kingston. Lady Clark was taken by the wisteria growing up over the verandahs and decided on Claremont House. The property was also located near a railway station on the main line and it’s association with a variety of distinguished owners also played a part in the decision.
After a number of renovations and additions, the Lady Clark Convalescent home opened in 1941. The work to the house was extensive with a number of the larger rooms subdivided into smaller rooms to allow for hospital ward accommodation. Additions to the dining room, a two storey north wing and an annexe which adjoined the main house to the servants wing. A number of workshops were built on the site with the original glasshouse turned into a smoking room for the soldiers. Between 1941 – 47, more than 2000 soldiers were patients at the Lady Clark.
Between 1947 – 51, the Lady Clark operated as a rehabilitation centre. The front rooms of the house were used to reintroduce the Changi prisoner’s of war back to their families.
In 1951, the Lady Clark was purchased by the Royal Hobart Hospital who continued to operate the house as a rehabilitation centre. In the late 1970′s, the Lady Clark became known as the Douglas Parker centre until it moved to the purpose built centre in New Town. In 1980, the Lady Clark was sold to local government for Adult Education classes. Adult education continued to operate at the site until 1993 when the house was in crisis due to rising maintenance and vandalism. The house was abandoned and a demolition order was passed for the property to be sold back into private hands.
The Lady Clark room was built within the lower floor of the 1940 annexe adjoining the main house to the servant’s wing and enjoys views south over Mount Wellington. It has flat access to the room, a heated queen bed, large LCD television, electric flame effect panel heating, fridge and espresso machine. The ensuite bathroom has an original Victorian claw foot bath and walk in shower.