Tower Room

For all booking enquiries, please call (03) 6249 8818 or via email to info@claremonthouse.com.au

Rate Schedule (includes a cooked breakfast)
Weekday night                                         $305

Weekend night                                         $315
Fri & Sat (2 night stay)                           $615

In 1889, Claremont House on 734 acres of land was purchased by Frank Bond at a value of 329 pounds. Bond was a well known businessman and parliamentarian and had heavy mining interests in north west Tasmania and other businesses as far as Queensland. Bond subdivided much of the land and sold of part of the land to Cadbury Pascal Fry Pty Ltd.

Claremont House, as it stands today is classified as a ‘Classic Victorian Italianate’ home. Bond’s late Victorian additions included return verandahs on both the ground and first floor, a ballroom, dining room, further bedrooms and four storey ‘widow’s walk’

Bond’s bedroom was at the top of the stairs on the south side of the house. He had a dressing room and bathroom and built the maid’s room at the rear of his bathroom.

Bond built the gates at the bottom of the drive which formed a part of the fence that divided the formal and informal gardens. During the depressed years of the 1890′s, the value of the property fell dramatically and in 1894 Claremont House was valued at only 135 pounds (1894 Assessment rolls)

Bond lived at the property between 1889 – 97. He installed the servant’s bell system back to the kitchen from the front main rooms and also had a bell in the maid’s room on the second floor.

Bond built the tower in the 1890′s as a later addition off the ballroom. It was a popular late Victorian feature called a ‘widow’s walk’ as it was used as a lookout by the lady of the house for incoming ships. Bond built the tower as a statement of his wealth and significance.

During the Red Cross occupation, 1940 – 51, the soldier’s would climb the tower to smoke  whilst hiding from the hospital matron.

The Tower is a double room with ensuite bathroom that retains many of the original Victorian features. It enjoys outlooks to the north over Austin’s Ferry and to the east over the Derwent River. The main room is the original bedroom of Kathleen Cottrell Dormer (1911 – 20) with Victorian skirts, architraves and baltic pine floors. The second room was the nursery of the house. Both rooms have working open fireplaces and independent heating electric heating. Heated King and Queen beds and a two storey ensuite bathroom with exposed staircase, Victorian claw foot bath and shower, sauna and hydrotherapy spa bath that enjoys 360 degree views from the tower. The bathroom is also fitted with a 1.8M Swarovski crystal 60 light chandelier. Large LCD television, fridge and espresso coffee machine in room with direct access onto the front verandah.